This has been a nasty cold and flu season. After having it hit our house twice already this winter, we were struck again this week, with everyone in the house getting pretty ill with the exception of myself. That meant that I had to attend to the family’s needs, and therefore didn’t get much work done on OpenBeacon Mini this week. Fortunately, everyone is now healing and I can devote more time to work again.
I’ve previously mentioned how I upgraded the office/shack network infrastructure by running Ethernet cable from the living room router and by upgrading our internet package. Now, I’ve completed phase 2 of the upgrade by getting a new Asus AC-1900 router to replace the cheap old TP-Link TL-WR841N that we were previously using. The difference between the two are like night and day. Not to mention that the old router didn’t even have Gb Ethernet support, so all around the networking situation is much better now. Good times.
Back to OpenBeacon Mini for a moment. I’ve completed about 80% of the menu system at this point. This menu system is almost entirely new code, which is why it is taking a significant amount of time for me to get it complete. A significant portion of it is being implemented as an Arduino library, so once I’m satisfied that it’s working correctly, I’ll publish the library in the Library Manager and let you know about it. The rest of the coding needed to get OpenBeacon Mini in a state where it’s suitable for broader testing should proceed at more of a brisk pace, since I can leverage a lot of the pre-existing OpenBeacon 2 code. More updates to follow soon!