Meta, OpenBeacon Mini, Twitch

Mid-Summer 2018 Update

A quick proof-of-life update for you. The whole month of July was pretty much wiped out for me between the yearly family vacation which was followed by hosting friends from out of town. We had a lovely time, but it left very little time for getting work done. Add to that the fact that the GPU on my main workstation gave out, so I couldn’t really do anything on this PC until I acquired a new one (RX 560 4 GB to make this entire machine Team Red now). So given all of those circumstances, I didn’t really make any progress on OpenBeacon Mini. Apologies for that to my beta testers. Things will still be a bit slow while school is out here for summer break until late August, and then after that I expect to have my full allotment of work time again. Once school is back on, I should be able to do Twitch streaming again as well. Right now things are just too chaotic for that to happen on a regular schedule.

On a side note, I’m sure you seen me talking about using the Brave browser’s BAT publisher program to replace my old Patreon page. I completely understand that asking someone to switch browsers is a very hard ask, especially when the browser is still fairly early in development and needs more work in order to be highly polished. I recently learned of an extension for Firefox and Chrome that does the same function of distributing BAT to registered publishers that the Brave browser does, which should be a lot more tolerable for those who were considering the program but didn’t want to give up their current browser. The extension is called BATify, and it might be worth looking into if such things interest you.

Meta, Twitch

A New and Improved Experience

As you have probably seen, I’ve launched occasional Twitch streaming of my work activities, including schematic capture, PCB layout, library coding, firmware coding, and even some solder melting. It’s been a bit of a learning curve, but I’ve been traversing it fairly successfully, I think. However, one big problem that I was having was with the quality of my stream output.

Allow me to describe my home office and network infrastructure situation. We have Frontier FIOS internet, which is fiber optic to a junction box on your house, when then downconverts to RF over coax, like cable internet. Our modem and router live in our living room. The router is a cheap TP-Link flashed with DD-WRT. My shack/office is in a bedroom adjacent to the living room. Our house is early 70s vintage, so no network cabling was wired into the house. The old office network setup was another Linksys router flashed with DD-WRT configured as a wifi bridge, with all of the office devices connected to the bridge via Ethernet cable. In effect, nearly every device in the house was connected via wifi. Given the combination of the cheap router and wifi congestion, my internet speeds were slow. The internet package I had from Frontier was labeled at 25 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload, but I’d be lucky if I could get 5 Mbps each way from the office. This meant that the Twitch stream was being bandwidth-choked, since it needs about 2.8 Mbps upload on a consistent basis, which this setup couldn’t provide.

So in order to provide a better stream experience, I did a couple of things. First I called Frontier and got our internet service upgraded to 30 Mbps up/down for a slightly cheaper monthly rate than we currently pay (it pays to check on that every year or two). Then I ran an Ethernet cable installation from the living room near the router to the office so that I could toss out the wifi bridge.

Happily I can now report that from all of the office/shack PCs, I can easily get more than 30 Mbps upload and download speed. I also ran a Twitch streaming test last night from the office PC and got two hours of continuous streaming without a single frame being dropped, which is quite an improvement from the previous streams.

It’s been a few weeks since the last stream, but I’m ready to pick up the pace a bit more again. Watch for more streams soon.

Etherkit, Twitch

Twitch Success

I’m happy to report that I managed to pull off my first Twitch stream today, and even got a handful of viewers. There were some initial problems, as I was trying to stream at 1080p, but my wifi connection from my office just couldn’t give enough bandwidth for that to work. After restarting with the stream set to 720p, people were actually able to see my stream. Today’s work was on OpenBeacon Mini. I assigned footprints to the netlist and made a first pass layout of the PCB. I do intend to stream again soon, perhaps even tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish the PCB layout on the next session.

Find my Twitch channel here and be sure to follow me in order to get notifications, thanks!