I know that the updates here have been extremely sparse. For that I do apologize. Things are slowly starting to settle into a new normal around here, and I’ve been able to regain the ability to put time back into work. There’s a large to do list on my whiteboard, and many of the things on that list depend on improvements and bug fixes to the Si5351 Arduino library. So that has been my first priority as I dip my toes back in the water.
There were quite a few features of the Si5351 that the older versions of the library did not support, such as all of the 8 outputs of the variants excluding the A3 and the VCXO of the B variant. Also, there is a pretty big bug in how the tuning algorithm handles multiple outputs assigned to the same PLL, which causes tuning errors to crop up.
Therefore, I decided in one fell swoop that I needed to totally rewrite the tuning algorithm and add support for as many of the neglected features as I could before moving on to other projects involving the Si5351. Over the last month, I’ve been hacking away on the code in my spare time, and I’m glad to finally be able to announce that a beta version of the Si5351 Arduino v2.0.0 library is ready for public use.
Because it’s such a drastic change to the underlying code, I’d like to have it in limited beta release before doing a final release via the Arduino Library Manager. So that means that if you would like to try it (and I encourage you to do so), then you’ll need to install it manually, which isn’t terribly difficult.
Go here and click on the green button on the upper right that says “Clone or download”. Select “Download ZIP”. Next, find where on your filesystem your Arduino libraries folder resides and delete the existing “Etherkit Si5351” folder. Inside the ZIP file you just downloaded, there is a folder entitled “Si5351Arduino-libupdate”. Unzip this folder into the Arduino libraries folder, and then restart the Arduino IDE.
Since this is a new major version release, I took the opportunity to tweak the interface a bit, which means that you’ll have to adjust your current code to work with the new library (but fortunately not too much). You’ll find the details on how to do that here.
Please check out the updated documentation on the GitHub page, as it has been greatly expanded and should explain all of the new features in detail. Also, quite a few new example sketches have been added to the library, which you can find in the usual place in the Arduino IDE. I encourage you to try the new library in your existing projects, as it should be a bit more streamlined and stable. Also, there is plenty of opportunity to make new projects with the B and C variant ICs. If you do encounter any problems with the new library version, I would like to strongly encourage you to use the Issues feature of GitHub to let me know so that I can get on to fixing it as soon as possible. When I’m satisfied that there are no big show-stopper bugs in the code, I’ll merge it to the master branch of the repository and tag it for release via the Arduino Library Manager, but I need help in testing it before I can do that.
Once there’s a stable release of this version of the library out in the wild, then I’ll be able to move forward with other projects based on this Si5351. With any luck, some more interesting things will be coming from this shack again in the near future. Thank you for all of your help and support!
Edit: an exclusive look into the development process: